Saturday, December 20, 2008

The Weather Outside is Frightful

But we've had some delightful visitors, including this House Finch that fed at one of our feeders today.

House finch at feeder

And this "something" at a backyard bird feeder.

Birds at feeder on snowy day

We also have a charming visitor named Graham visiting us for the weekend. He's our first experience with puppy sitting for Guide Dogs. He has a lot of energy and loves snow, which is good since we haven't really been able to take him out to stores or restaurants this weekend.

Graham

In Guide Dog news, we've been told we're getting a female yellow lab whose name starts with the letter A. Parents are Bingham and Bruna. I'm pleased, but I had no preference for male or female and so I imagine we were switched with someone who did have one.

The weather got really cold last Sunday and we've had a daily accumulation of snow. Vancouver didn't get what Portland got, until today. We're expecting freezing rain tonight. I'm warm but worried because my son has to deliver pizzas tonight. Even Lyn admitted that it was hard to drive today - he will drive in most weather conditions.

Up to last Sunday I had been working on the Julskalender.

Julskalender through day 3

I got to day 3, but got so cold that I went to the homespun yarn I have stored and chose some mystery yarn that I think I spun over 10 years ago. I think it's an angora/merino blend. I started a cowl and finished it this afternoon. It's a first for me in a few ways. I used a pico hem, I used handspun yarn for a project, and it's my first cowl. I'm pleased, but unfortunately I'm allergic to the angora. That's a first too. I think I'll be gifting this cowl.

Spiral cowl with handspun yarn

In book news I finished The Outlander by Gil Adamson. It reminded me a lot of Cold Mountain, but was definitely different. I think it's my favorite book of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment