Saturday, September 18, 2010

Puppy Outing to GDB Boring Campus

We had a late morning outing to the Guide Dog campus to use the observation room to see how older dogs handle being alone in a room (a desired skill before the puppy goes in for training), and then to ask questions of our new CFR, Deana, and to work on individual skills and group exercises. I was not enthusiastic about going, initially, since it's kind of a yukky day for traveling, but I think this has been my favorite outing to date.

Walking to observation room

We started the outing by walking outside from the auditorium to the observation room. This is a room set up with a couch, counter, radio, garbage can (covered with a net) and a toy. There is an observation window and we went in 3 groups to observe the 3 older puppies in our group that could go inside the room (no intact males could go in, and puppies had to be at least 5 or 6 months to be able to go inside). Some dogs were busier than others, but I understand they all did well.

While the other groups were going in to observe, I walked to the kitchen to see the bulletin board and take a picture. I talked to a tech there about 0 phase. Some dogs seem to be there for some time. I learned that when dogs are returned to campus, 2 classes are brought in. One class goes into training, the other class, called a "back class" waits for a string to start later. During this time, the back class is busy reviewing obedience, getting used to all kinds of collars, and doing all the fun things the dogs get to do when they return to kennel life. I toured the kennels on Fun Day and read the display on a dog's typical daily schedule. The dogs have a very full life even if they are career changed or not in formal training. They have play times, nap times, training times (learning cool tricks if career changed), grooming times, and one-on-one times with trainers. Believe me, everyone wants to keep the dogs interested in their environment. Since we don't hear anything about training, it's easy to imagine that the dogs are just sitting there, but they aren't. GDB seems to be a happy place for trainers, techs, and dogs, and I hope it brings a measure of comfort for those who have been waiting a long time to see their puppy in a string.


From the observation room, we went back to the auditorium and asked Deana questions and then worked on individual skills that new puppy people wanted to work on. I have been having some issues with Kristin taking food roughly from my hand when doing recall. I learned how to "stuff" the food in Madeline's mouth (or baby bird feed). I'm going to be working on Madeline just taking food from my hand for a few days before restarting recall exercises. Madeline was an enthusiastic learner. Other skills worked on were the command "down" and how to begin teaching it, and how to avoid mouthing. The key was patience, engaging the dog and having fun. I can't tell you how much I loved Deana's teaching techniques. We really are getting away from hard corrections and are learning more about using praise and keeping the dog interested, as well as giving the dogs a chance to make decisions.

One of the funny things that happened was when an older puppy, Josh, was working on distractions with Deana's 2 standard poodles. There was an immediate interest in the 2 new strange-looking dogs, especially the female. Josh obviously was smitten. Josh wasn't the only one and after we broke the meeting, people took their puppies over to meet the poodles, including Madeline.

Introduction to the poodle

The male poodle was a hoot, too. Deana participates in free style dancing with her dogs and the male, who she kept by her side during group exercise, would sit until he got bored, would stand up, and then Deana would tell him to sit again. Instead of sitting, he'd sashay around her and then sit down. I wanted to take a picture of that. It was hilarious.

Here are a few pictures of Maddy I took while Lyn did the group work with her. She doesn't like to have her picture taken and it's very hard to take posed pictures of her. I loved having Lyn work with her as she wasn't looking at me watching her through a camera. I love this picture - it's her incensed expression after being surprised by the flash.

Surprise! I took you picture

Here's Madeline looking up at Lyn waiting for a command.

Madeline waiting for command from Lyn

Here she is attempting "down."

attempting "down" with Maddy

Deana says that for young puppies learning the down command, that length of time in the position is not crucial. If the puppy goes down, you can allow the puppy to get up again, but praise the puppy a lot whenever it lies down and if the puppy chooses to stay in that position, great. Praise, praise, praise!

We had a good time today.

Finally, I have added a music mix gadget and I wanted to mention the song by Dar Williams, "The One Who Knows." It's a song I've played a lot since Kristin has gone. It's a song about parenting, but I think puppy raising is like parenting, and it captures many of the feelings I have had since Kristin has gone. This verse gets me weepy eyed every.single.time.

"Before the mountains call to you, before you leave this home,
I want to teach your heart to trust, as I will teach my own,
But sometimes I will ask the moon where it shined upon you last,
And shake my head and laugh and say it all went by too fast."

"You'll fly away, but take my hand until that day. So when they ask how far love goes,
When my job's done you'll be the one who knows."

Sob! I'm off to find a Kleenex!

No comments:

Post a Comment