Thursday, September 20, 2007

Knitting with blanks

I found out today that the spinning group project next week is going to be knitting with blanks. We'll be bringing our own yarn and there will be 2 knitting machines that we'll use to knit our yarn into square blanks. We will be dyeing these blanks, steaming them, and then knitting a small project (I'm thinking fingerless gloves). Apparently there was a young woman doing this at the Black Sheep Gathering in June and she made a big impression on everyone. I think the knitted blanks will be sold at Flock and Fiber, so I may be getting some there since I don't think I have time to spin enough yarn or order bare wool from Knit Picks before next week's session. Yes, this is a spinning group, but the leader of the group is interested in knitting, too. I'm not complaining!

An exciting discovery today is that I see I have now reached below 2000 on the waiting list at Ravelry. Since they are sending 500 to 600 invitations a day, I should be getting my invitation in 3 to 4 days. At the beginning of the week I was in the 5000 range and thought it would be another 2 to 3 weeks. I've been waiting for this invitation since July and am very excited that my invitation will arrive about the time my weekend starts. If it arrives on Saturday, I might have some trouble deciding between perusing Ravelry and going to Flock and Fiber!

Want to see another miraculous thing that I just chanced upon last week? It's eye candy!


This is Wollmeise in the color Poison No.5. I didn't think this color was really my style, but I love it. I like to be surprised. I started a sock right away, but the needles are too big. I need to frog the sock and use smaller needles.

I got another one!










This is Rhabarber (or Rhubarb). I love the colors in this skein. They are exactly what I like.

I don't know why I was so lucky. I just happened to check my e-mail at the time The Loopy Ewe alert went out. It was 9 minutes exactly from the time of the sneak-up alert to my financial transaction. Within the hour all skeins of Wollmeise were gone! I got two and promised my husband that these were my last 2 sock yarn purchases for the end of the year. I did point out the gift certificates he could get for me from The Loopy Ewe for Christmas, but I don't think he took me seriously!

I've been Googling German independent yarn dyers, and quickly decided I'm going to start looking for a refresher course in the German language so I can read the blogs. I love what I've been seeing lately!

No comments:

Post a Comment