Thursday, November 1, 2007

Can you find the fur in the fiber?



I thought I would start cataloging my sock yarn the other day, and then I got a helper. Can you see her? If not, here's a close-up:



This is Misha, by the way. I've sneeked her into this blog because my extended family doesn't really know about her. I have a reputation for collecting pets like I collect yarn. This spring I took one of the dogs to the vet and my vet showed me a kitten she was trying to find a home for (my vet is an enabler). Of course I took him. I named him Archie. He was an adorable orange tabby, had been raised in an apartment complex and loved to wander from apartment to apartment getting attention. So Archie comes to my home and I insist that he become an indoor cat. The short version of this story is that he did not stay an indoor cat. Because of his tendency to love everyone, he wandered off with a couple walking in our neighborhood. When I went to retrieve him from following they had disappeared with the cat. I was heartbroken! We put up posters and I registered a lost cat notice at the humane society. I would watch the humane society web page for cats that resembled Archie, but never found him. However, in the 6 weeks that followed I kept seeing this beautiful little white and black cat named Abby in the adoption pictures at the humane society. She was 3 years old, had always been an indoor cat, was friendly with cats and dogs, and was playful and affectionate. I just knew she would snatched up quickly. She wasn't. Six weeks went by and no one would take her. I was getting quite attached to Abby and couldn't believe she hadn't found a home. That Sunday a notice was put up that Abby had been in the facility too long and they were begging someone to come get her. I told my husband I had to have her. He reluctantly agreed if I would promise to take the humane society web page off my Favorites list in the computer (I have more stories like this one). So, we rushed down to the shelter, an hour before they closed, and I asked to see Abby. We took to each other right away. I held her for an hour and a half in a room full of wonderful adoptable cats, but never swayed from wanting her. The staff at the shelter felt we were meant for one another and Abby came home with me. I renamed her Misha. She's been a delightful cat. I had set up a cat bed on my desk so Mish could keep me company. However, she doesn't want the bed, she wants my lap. A typical work day picture:



So, anyway, I gave up taking pictures of my stash - it got a little overwhelming. I have too much!

I'm sort of on a sock yarn diet. When I bought my Wollmeise yarn from The Loopy Ewe in August I promised I wouldn't buy anymore sock yarn. Well... I haven't bought as much, but I have this interest in German sock yarns and Sheepaints is now in the Loopy stock. I bought some yarn this week and it just came in the mail. Here's a picture of 4 fingerless glove patterns and the Cherrywood colorway from Sheepaints.


So, family, if you would prefer fingerless gloves to socks, you have an option.

I'm almost done with my ISE5 scarf and have finished E's shawl. I'll include pictures of both in my next post. I have multiple projects on needles, but it's time for work and I have to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment