Sunday, September 7, 2008

Honoring community organizers

Last week was a circus. I didn't especially enjoy the bits of the GOP convention that I watched. I admit I got some comic relief from the Daily Show, especially this clip on Senators Foghorn Leghorn Thompson and Droopy Dog Lieberman

I don't know about everyone, but I was a little (an understatement) unnerved by the woman I spent way too much time reading about last week, GOP vice president candidate, Sarah Palin. My disdain towards her grew the more I read.

While the media praised her and the convention became alive after her speech, there were quite a number of disgruntled people who took exception to her disparaging and snarky comment about community organizers. I joined a group at Ravelry called "Sarah Palin must be stopped" and I clicked on a site that offers people Community organizer icons that many are putting in as avatar pictures. There are a lot of them, and I'm going to be featuring Zainab Salbi this week. I think I'll feature a community organizer a week for the months of September and October. Where would we be without such people?

No comments:

Post a Comment