Monday, September 22, 2008

My Big Red Dog



Three years ago our sweet Cairn Ronan died from a horrific endocrine disease. About a month after his death I just sort of sauntered into the humane society to look at dogs, just in case I could imagine getting another one. I practically stumbled over this gorgeous big red shepherd who was sitting out in the lobby with a volunteer so he could get some public exposure and hopefully get adopted. This dog had been let go by his previous home and had had 2 unsuccessful placements in a very short period of time. He was older and at age 7 many dogs just aren't adopted. I pet him for a long time, and forced myself to go home. He haunted me. I knew his chances for survival were not good, so I talked my husband into adopting him. I got him for a "bargain," as the humane society was letting older dogs go for a minimum price. Shane had had his shots, was socialized, got along with other dogs, loved cats and was said to love riding in cars. There as a catch, however. He was limping and would need some medical attention. Since I had successfully helped one of my dogs with a torn ligament, I assumed this is what Shane had and imagined the long walks we would take to strengthen his leg and the great company he would be lying at my feet as I worked.

So, I took him home where he proceeded to practically howl from fright riding in the car (never has outgrown this) and he refused to climb stairs so I had to carry him up to get a bath to get the kennel stink off him. I did take him to the vet the next day and found out Shane had not 1, but 2 bad knees and would need surgery on both of them. I got a second opinion from a second vet (who ended up being our permanent vet) who proclaimed Shane's stifle (name of the condition) as the worst she had ever seen. My bargain dog became quite an expense. We were able to avoid surgery but went through water therapy and Shane started taking medication. About half a year later, Shane was walking comfortably, even chasing squirrels and our new puppy Aidan. His personality blossomed and we've all become very attached to him. Shane does love cats and will protect them from terror Aidan, will shepherd small dogs at the dog park and avoid big dogs like the plague, is afraid of thunderstorms and practically sits in my lap when they occur; in fact, the ONLY time in Shane's life that he climbed stairs was when we had a thunderstorm. He loves to chase squirrels, loves to have barking spats with the dogs living behind us, and loves his treats. He greets me when I come in with bags wagging his tail and loves it when there is something in the bag for him.

Last week Shane wasn't feeling well. We took him to the vet thinking maybe he had a virus, but just in case we wanted to have him checked out. He had lost a lot of weight and the vet found multiple enlarged lymph nodes all over his body. I'm waiting for the official word from biopsies but my vet feels Shane has an aggressive and advanced lymphoma and that his prognosis is very poor. He's on prednisone for palliative treatment, but she estimates that Shane only has about a month or so to live. We're heartbroken. I have some slim hope that the lymphoma isn't as advanced as she thinks and that perhaps we can afford chemotherapy, but I'm bracing myself for the inevitable and am going to spend as much quality time with Shane as I can. I have a vacation coming up in 2 weeks and I'm canceling the spinning retreat.

My brother Dave once howled with laughter when I told him the story of how I acquired Shane the bargain dog. He may have been expensive, but I am so glad that we adopted him and gave him 3 years in a loving home. I would do it again in a heartbeat. He's been the best dog I've ever had!

No comments:

Post a Comment