Friday, September 26, 2008

Trying to move on

It's been a hard week. I wasn't sure I could post here for awhile, but feel the need for some distraction, so here I go. I joined a pet loss group at Ravelry and hopefully can find some comfort posting there.

I have a strong urge to get another dog as I can't tolerate getting used to the space Shane left behind. However, Lyn grieves differently and I'm going to respect that. I'm also contemplating fostering dogs for the humane society or a rescue group, or applying to Guide Dogs for the Blind as a puppy trainer instead of acquiring another pet.

There's also Aidan who needs to go to dog training. Today I checked out Everything in the Ark and was excited about classes and training methods. I signed Aidan up for a class that starts in early October. The facility will be expanding soon to include agility training, search and rescue, and other dog-related activities that Cairns enjoy. I met 2 Catahoula Leopard dogs and fell in love with them. They're huge! I mistook them for Great Danes at first.

Aidan and I also went to the dog park and he played with another Cairn named Max and a Boston Terrier named Milo. Max looks so much like Aidan and I believe came from the same breeder. Both were initially bought from the mall pet store who usually get their Cairn terriers from the same breeder. I acquired Aidan from a coworker who had bought Aidan at the pet store. She and her husband had decided that they were not meant to be Cairn owners so they let me buy him from them. We got him when he was 4 months old. It had been my intent to train Aidan to do agility or some terrier-related sport, but Shane's medical needs pretty much ate up our dog budget. I don't think it's too late to start training a dog at any age, so I'll start now. I'm hoping that we learn a lot and get involved in some new activities. It seems to be a good plan for distraction anyway as we work our way through grief.

Tomorrow is Flock and Fiber Festival. I'm looking forward to that and will post pictures tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment