Saturday, May 23, 2009

Shear Delights

Ardella at unremembered location

That's a picture of Ardella at some location that I do not recognize. It's recent though and I like it. (Edit: Taken at the Spirit of the Red Horse - a shop at the Portland airport - last weekend).

We went to play put-put golf with the puppy club on Thursday and I forgot the camera again. The best thing about that evening was seeing Miranda, the newest puppy. I have no recollection of Ardella being that small! She was adorable!

Lyn and I took Ardella to Woodland, Washington today, to an event called Shear Delights. The event was at White Oak Alpacas and featured raw fleece, spun yarn, cute alpaca, and friendly people. There were a number of spinners who sat up spinning wheels for the day to spin. I left mine at home because we had Ardella and we couldn't stay that long.

People were very interested in Ardella and she sat or lay down nicely so people could pet her. At first the ranch owners were a little worried about Ardella because they had a Great Pyrenees watch dog who sat in the fields with the alpaca and who was very suspicious of any strange dog on the land. He was a little suspicious, but not aggressive and Ardella did not react in a fearful way towards him at all, which I was a little concerned about considering her past experience.

Great Pyrenees guard dog

Everyone was happy to have Ardella there, but only service dogs were allowed to the event, understandably.

The alpaca were funny where Ardella was concerned. They made a cooing sound, gathered in a circle, and then would all face her together. Occasionally an alpaca would come get acquainted. Ardella wagged her tail slowly and never got excited and usually the alpaca were calm and just turned around and left. All but one who spit at her and then ended Ardella's interest in the alpaca. I was proud of her for being so calm. She loved meeting people and I guess it's better that she was more interested in people than in alpaca.

Who's the new creature

Ardella posed in front of curious alpaca

Not making eye contact with Alpaca

Alpaca feeling bolder Ardella feeling shyer

I bought some mahogany lace that was spun from grand dame Meryion, one of the older alpaca on the ranch. I was taken to see her right after I bought the lace. You can see her in the picture above - she's a dark brown alpaca in the fenced area adjacent to the one I was photographing. I bought about 770 yards of lace and plan to make something pretty.

Mahogany Lace from Meryion

This is a long weekend. I have to work tomorrow, but do have Monday off. I'll be knitting as I need to finish up the Loopy Ewe swap project I'm making.

No comments:

Post a Comment