Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Kristin

Kristin

I took this picture of Kristin a few minutes ago. We've been blocking off the family room from the living room with ex-pens so Kristin can have a bit more freedom in a larger area. She's been happier like this, I think, and I certainly am. Right now she's beside my chair sleeping as I write.

I think we've definitely made progress on relieving issues. Yesterday, right after relieving in her spot, we went for a walk around the block. Kristin started picking up pace a little bit, and when we reached the front yard she started pulling me a bit to her relieving spot. I gave her the command (seeing the inevitable) and she went again. I see this as progress because she waited to go until we got home.

I also know Kristin's schedule now, so I can plan outings between relieving needs. This weekend Kristin went to a restaurant, to Trader Joes, to Home Depot and to a committee meeting with Lyn. Last weekend she went to graduation and slept most of the time.

Kristin's first graduation

Kristin has an endearing personality. I feel like I've been bonding with her more and have really started to enjoy raising her.

In other news, son Kevin got a part in the upcoming play Pride and Prejudice. He's going to be Mr. Collins, which is the part he wanted.

Lyn discovered he's had some hearing loss and hearing aids are recommended. That makes us both feel old - and broke! Those things are expensive!

I am now working 2 shifts at the animal shelter - one shift with dogs, one with cats. The shelter got a truckful of dogs this weekend from San Bernardino and they took in about 60 dogs (increased # in trip because one of the dogs gave birth to puppies). San Bernardino has had a dog population explosion. Most of the dogs are small designer dogs, the result of public demand for small dogs like many celebrities have (i.e., Paris Hilton). Small dogs are being abandoned right and left and the humane society in SB has had to euthanize hundreds of dogs a week. This is mind boggling to me - first that people want to emulate Paris Hilton, and second that they'd abandon so many dogs!

I am also transporting a mini-Aussie this weekend. I visited her on Sunday and she's adorable, but horribly scared. Aussie's do not do well in shelters. I'm trying to figure out a way to bring her to my house for a night or two. It means farming out my own dogs to sitters though.

No comments:

Post a Comment