Saturday, June 13, 2009

This will pass!

So, I need to vent. Life sucks right now, especially work. I really won't say what is bothering me, but I'm so glad to have a life outside work and if that is threatened I will be most miserable.

So, I've turned to knitting. I started a meditative knit called the Taize scarf" by Susan Pandorf. It's lacy but there are only 8 rows and each row is easily memorized so that I don't have to constantly watch the chart.

Taize scarf

That's the beginning of the scarf. The ends will be hemmed for a picot edge. I'm using a fingering weight yarn by The Fibre Co. called Canopy - 50% baby alpaca, 30% merino and 20% bamboo. It's heavenly. I love the yarn too. I have a feeling this project will go quickly, I need a lot of "cool down" time when I'm upset.

I have 3 other patterns by Susan Pandorf in her new Zen series that I downloaded this weekend. She was having a sale on the patterns. I'll probably need to do more meditative knits through the coming months. Damn it!

The veterinarian got a urine specimen for a culture on Thursday and we will hear the results of that sometime on Monday or Tuesday, probably. I'm doing research on Addison disease, trying to get an idea of the monthly cost of medication. It's doable, but only if we both keep our jobs. Who knows how that's going to pan out! In the meantime, I'm still hoping it's a kidney infection.

We went to Allison's college graduation party this afternoon (She's Lyn's niece) and were glad we missed the 3-hour ceremony, but were happy to see family again for the second weekend in a row. After the party Lyn and I followed Linda and Dave home to see their two new black lab puppies, Callie and Lila. Oh so cute, and oh such sharp teeth!

Finished a book about a brain surgeon last night and liked it. I'm a little burned out on medicine lit these days, but Keith Black is a refreshing change of pace from other books written by neurosurgeons and I admire his respect for patients and for the way he feels about the brain in general. I also read Purple Hibiscus and loved it! A coming of age story that takes place in Nigeria. There is child abuse - religious and paternal, but the family the children find refuge with is wonderful. I'm on my way to bed to start Red April by Santiago Roncagliolo. It takes place in Peru during the 1980s civil war. I checked out 6 books from the library today and put 6 more on hold. Yes sir! It's time to escape and get by with a little help from my book friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment