Saturday, July 11, 2009

Adopt-A-Thon Weekend

Ardella went to work with Lyn on the bus yesterday and Keri and I went shopping for wedding things. Keri got hair clips and miscellaneous items; I got shoes.

Ardella did not want to get on the bus and was a little nervous about the ride. She did fine at work, but she apparently does not like mass transportation.

This morning, Lyn, Ardella, and I got up early and drove to Kent, Washington, for an Adopt-A-Thon held at the King County Animal Shelter. This is a trip straight up I-5 and has to be one of the most boring drives around here. However, we always look for the ever changing John Birch Society billboard which has messages for each direction traveled on I-5. Today's north direction message was a conspiracy theory message stating simply, "Where's the birth certificate." Southbound, we got "I'll keep God, Gold, and guns, you can keep the change." Oh, silly people! Then there are the Gospodor monuments, which are just weird. There was a new monument with weather vanes. Standing there with Jesus, Chief Joseph, Mother Theresa and Holocaust victims, I just don't know what this one was about! Some day I'll take a picture of these things - it's just not convenient since they are right on the interstate.

We got to Kent around 10, got into the Adopt-a-Thon with little trouble, thanks to Ardella's green coat, and found our way to the MARS group where we greeted everyone and got acquainted with what I would be doing. Ardella drew some people, including a gentleman from the GDB Seattle group who is acquainted with the raisers who are raising Ardella's brother, Amos. I'm hoping to hear from them so we can invite them to the Bruna A Litter group Anna started on Yahoo.

Lyn and Ardella left me in Kent and went elsewhere for a few hours. I sold things, caught up with Leslie on how Charlie is doing, talked to other volunteers in the booth who had adopted from MARS, and bought stuff! Here's my collection from the day.

What I bought at Adopt a thon

I'm especially fond of the T-shirts and magnet stickers. I left at 1, so don't know how profitable sales were today. It was very hot and I believe there were other events going on today in the area that competed with people's time. I think we had the best booth and there was a steady trickle of people during the hours I was there, but by the time I left the event was pretty empty. I enjoyed myself and I'm glad I went. I would certainly volunteer to do this again.

Ardella panted hard during the trip up and seemed stressed out. It was hot, but we have air conditioning, plus, she was fine when she was out of the car. She was still panting on the way home, and she sat with her head in my lap almost the whole way. By the time we got home she perked up and didn't have a crash and burn period like she used to have when acting super stressed. Now I'm thinking she just doesn't like traveling. Here are Aidan and Ardella giving me the eyeball as I ate blueberries picked from the garden - Ardella is looking back to normal in this picture.

Aidan and Ardella

Finally, Lyn got his hair cut the other day - he wanted me to document the cut so he could be reminded he would never get it cut this short again. I don't think it's that bad, and it will grow out!

Lyn's new haircut

No comments:

Post a Comment