Saturday, July 4, 2009

Fourth of July

Selling Fireworks at the Fireworks stand

Here's Ardella at the fireworks stand where Lyn and I put in a shift for our puppy club and Lion's Club fundraiser. It was hot, but Ardella did great being a puppy representer for Guide Dogs and stayed cool by eating ice chips and wearing a bandana around her neck with ice tucked into it. The tent was shaded and there was a breeze coming through so she was never too uncomfortable. The last I heard sales were doing great. Lyn even bought a few fireworks for us - the not too noisy kind - so I could learn how to do the cash register. I did run the cash register for about half an hour, but mostly I was with Ardella talking to people who were curious about her and our group.

This was a hard week. I feel guilty starting it out with a cheerful note, but it was emotionally hard. A friend of ours from Friends Meeting was tragically killed in a bicycle accident on the Virginia Tech campus on Thursday where she was attending Friends General Conference. Her name was Bonnie Tinker and she was a dynamic political activist and promoter of social justice.

Then a coworker who had been out on medical leave had her job terminated. I don't know what my work environment is coming to. I don't know how much lower morale can go.

Ardella is a bright spot in my life, and things seem to be going well for her. Anna (who is raising Ardella's sister Avani) has been helping me with some issues, especially with relieving on walks or in stores, and we've been not letting Ardella leave the yard until she does her business. We're also not going many places. As far as her health, she seems to be doing so much better and I'm encouraged that she did okay in the heat today as long as we kept her cool. Oh - Ardella has discovered blueberries - on our bushes. They're prolific and big and juicy and I couldn't resist picking some when I took Ardella outside. I was enjoying picking and eating blueberries off the bush and before I knew it, Ardella had grabbed a mouthful. She's very excited by berries now. Bad me!

Wedding plans are coming along and invitations went out this week. A friend of Keri's made them for her and they're beautiful.

I'm waiting for the firework fiesta that takes place every year on the Fourth. I have to be up by 6 a.m. and have resigned myself to a short night. Oh well. Probably won't be able to do my personal best and do 37,000 lines during my shift tomorrow. I'm such a lame team player...

Sorry folks. I'll try and be perkier the next time I write.

No comments:

Post a Comment