Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Book club

I forgot to mention that the first book group discussion with my knitting group took place on Monday evening. We read Saturday by Ian McEwan. The book was chosen by Marcy, but she wasn't able to attend (one of the first over 100 days of the week). We ate curried chicken salad, a broccoli salad that the group loves, Brownies, and drank cold drinks.

The discussion was split in terms of enjoyment of the book. I loved it, Linda liked it, Barb changed her opinion with the discussion, Betsy hadn't read it, and Cissy and Jolene didn't like it at all. I enjoyed the way the book built up tension on this most unusual Saturday in the life of a neurosurgeon and his family, in London, on the day of war protests taking place in the city and an airplane crash observed from a bedroom window. I enjoyed the detail McEwan provided, while the detail drove others crazy. I admit the first half was slow going, but once the family is held hostage, I couldn't be torn away. Some people felt the ending was unethical and contrived.

I hope Marcy has her say one of these Mondays, since it was her book. I have the next book and it's going to be The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down. I needed a book I'd read before because of the wedding. We'll probably postpone the discussion until September. I look forward to it because there's a lot to discuss.

No comments:

Post a Comment