Saturday, April 10, 2010

Farmer's Market, Feed store and yarn therapy

I've had a spirit-lifting weekend. It began yesterday with a trip downtown to Stitchcraft to see Nicholette and to see the new yarn she's been posting about on Facebook. I came away with some Mountain Meadow lace for a small shawl, and some Lorna's Lace sock yarn for the Moonflower socks by Chrissy Gardiner.

Mt Meadows lace  Lorna Lace sock in Douglas Fir

The weather was halfway decent yesterday so I was able to take Kristin for a long walk. She's a good walking companion and we didn't have any accidents.

After exercising the dogs, I was able to knit. These are some of the things I have going on my needles.

Butterfly socks - Online sock yarn created some butterfly patterned yarns and I bought the yarn about a year ago. Since the yarn is patterned already, I just knit in the round on 2 circular needles and make a basic sock pattern. I'm approaching the end of sock #2 and will finally complete the socks, hopefully by the end of the weekend.

butterfly socks

I'm on my second lacy Baktus scarf that I started on the plane to Florida in March. This one is in Dream in Color Pansy GoLightly colorway. I found a Baktus scarf swap on Ravelry and discovered there are several different versions besides the lacy one - ruffle, lace edge, all garter, all stockinette - at any rate, it's a versatile scarf, and it will be fun to swap scarves with someone else.

Lacy Baktus 2  Dream in Color Pansy Go Lightly

I've been on a cowl kick lately and this is one I knitted for my sister's birthday. I finished it in time, but need to block and send it (so it's still late). This is the Noble Cowl made with Rowan cotton-wool.

Sister birthday Noble Cowl

It's nice to get some knitting mojo back. Kristin is getting practice sleeping on her bed in my yarn room and not playing with yarn. She does well with this so I can start knitting more. I don't have to have her on tie-down - she'll just lie on her bed and chew on a nylabone.

This morning we went to the Vancouver Farmer's Market to order a cat scratching post from Woodin You, a business owned by one of my puppy club's members. My indoor cats are shredding my doors and since this post is made from a wooden log, I have hopes that this cat activity will cease! We also picked up some Advantage for Kristin there and had a Gelato at El Dolce (they had the chocolate-orange today).

From the Farmer's Market, we went to one of my favorite Vancouver stores, Orchards Feed Mill and got 2 straw bales!! I love this store and I want to go back and visit. The idea of urban chicken farming is appealing to me, too, and they sell chickens there. They also have an awesome selection of dog food and I came home with some samples for Aidan and Ardella (Wellness Core - about 34% protein).

We put the straw bales in the new raised bed area Lyn was creating earlier this spring. We're hoping the compost from the bales will provide some good soil for this bed in the next 2 years or so. They're set in place and we'll just water them for the next 3 or 4 days and then start adding a source of nitrogen. I hope they'll be ready to plant around the first of May.

Straw bales

Closer view of straw bales

Keri called and I'll be puppy sitting Gizmo a few days next week. That's going to create an interesting situation in our house, but I know Ardella will be ecstatic!

I still have a few hours left in the day, so I'm taking Kristin upstairs to the knitting room.

No comments:

Post a Comment