Monday, April 19, 2010

Festival Weekend

This was a busy weekend for me and for Ardella and Kristin. It started Thursday evening at the Foster Care class at the humane society. I am interested in doing this, but may be leaning in a more specialized direction. At any rate, fostering is very demanding but immensely rewarding. There is more a need for dog fostering than cat fostering and I want to do both (of course). Realistically, I might be leaning in a different direction. See below.

Saturday was my volunteer day at the Northwest Pet and Companion Fair and I volunteered with the humane society. Lyn and I went early and took Ardella and I got to visit several booths that were of interest to me in terms of things I'd like to do with Ardella. I checked out several booths having to do with therapy team training including The Delta Society and Dove Lewis. I think most of the therapy animal programs use The Delta Society's curriculum, but Dove Lewis has a couple of ways to get involved that really appeal to me. Ardella is over a year now and is eligible to give blood, if she has the universal blood type for dogs. If she does, she will donate blood while getting a massage and getting pampered with treats while she donates. I was also handed a pamphlet on this conference that is coming up on May 1. It looks really interesting. I also visited the table on Dog Scouts and the Autism Service Dogs of America table.

I worked for about 2 hours walking dogs around for Southwest Washington Humane Society and actually got one dog adopted before it was time to go. That was fun! It was one of the California dogs that the shelter has been taking in and was a Cairn terrier mix named Jitterbug.

I also kept returning to the Dogwise Books table and found a boat load of books I wanted, especially this one on puppy development. There were others including books on games to play with dogs, managing stress and anxiety, positive training methods, etc., etc.

Before I left, I visited some dogs I longed to see but couldn't while I had Ardella, Shiloh Shepherds. I'm starting a puppy fund now. I never thought I'd buy another dog, but these dogs made me change my mind.

Lyn and Kristin picked me up after my shift was over, and we drove fast to the Woodland Tulip Festival where the club was having our monthly outing. We stayed a very short time, but got a few nice pictures.

Tulip field

Kristin with lots of tulips

Kristin in tulip field

Alas, Kristin relieved so we had to leave. Which is good, actually, because I was feeling a little faint from hunger.

On Sunday, Lyn took Kristin to Friend's Meeting and First Day School where Kristin happily hung out with Lyn in the Preschool Program. After Meeting, they went to the Pet and Companion Fair and helped at the GDB booth. Oh- no accidents on Sunday.

Kristin at First Day School

Booth at NW Companion Pet Fair

I spent the afternoon with Karren and we transported a mini-Aussie who had been in our shelter to Mini-Aussie Rescue. We met Leslie at Kit Carson's in Chehalis and talked shop while we were treated to a light supper. We talked guide dogs, positive training methods, dogs, dogs, and more dogs. Leslie told me that she doesn't like to take in puppies because she doesn't have the time to do house training and early puppy socialization, but if I did to let her know. This is a big temptation. I could do this! Leslie says more and more people are requesting dogs that get along with cats and I certainly have cats. It's easier to expose a puppy to cats than an adult dog! So... it's something to think about. She told me to let her know when I was ready.

There are so many interesting ways to volunteer with animals these days. Once again, when talking with Leslie I was struck by my enthusiasm in talking about the humane society versus raising guide dog puppies. Sigh! It's hard to let go! I just have such a conflict with using leash/collar corrections versus using positive training methods. Leslie was telling me that leash corrections are outdated by about 50 years and that the time it takes a dog to learn something with positive training methods (i.e. clicker training) is statistically about 40% faster. I have some reading to do on the matter. I'm not going to make a snap decision.

P.S. I took down Feedjit because they updated and the new Feedjit just gives out too much information on visitors. I miss seeing who visits, but want to respect visitors' privacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment