Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Birthdays, vacation, and cute, fuzzy kittens

A lot has happened since I last wrote. I've been on vacation since Thursday afternoon. I'm not going anywhere this vacation, but my favorite way to take time off is to stay put and do all the things I like to do at home.

Kristin turned 1 on April 30. We didn't give her a fancy cake, but she did get several Nylabone toys and a treat pack. She has taken a few trips to indoor locations like the mall, and to the movies to see How To Tame Your Dragon (loved this movie). Kristin never relieves indoors and these trips have been very successful. We took a walk on a walking path near us and took Ardella and Kristin together. We've discovered that Ardella and Kristin can ride successfully side-by-side in the back seat. Here they are together - it's the best picture we had and Kristin was moving too much.

Kristin and Ardella ride together

I took Kristin for a walk yesterday and Lyn was behind us with Aidan and Ardella. I was working on food protocol with Kristin and noticed Kristin turn with great interest toward what I thought was a young boy on a bike with training wheels. However, I saw movement in my peripheral vision and turned to see a Boxer coming towards us with an intent stare at Kristin. She was in the middle of the road and I registered that this was going to be an ugly encounter. I tried to get Kristin behind me and Kristin was interested in meeting the dog, so was resisting getting behind me. The dog started snarling and snapping and jumped on Kristin's back. Fortunately, the dog's owner was in the yard and came and got the dog off. I informed the owner that Kristin was a guide dog in training and he apologized. However, I was furious because I really don't think people should let dogs off leash in an unfenced area. Kristin seemed okay after the attack, but I'm still concerned because of how a similar situation affected Ardella. Kristin is a year old, so it may not ever bother her, but I was worried enough that I reported the incident to my leader who will report it to our CFR.

Lyn, Keri, Ryan, Karren and husband Ed went to see Kevin in his last performance of Pride and Prejudice on Saturday evening. We went to the performance after eating Thai Food at Thai Orchid (hands down one of my favorite restaurants). Kevin was Mr. Collins and he did a fantastic job. Many people have commented to me that Kevin's performance was an audience favorite and I have to agree. The whole cast did a great job and I was even able to accept the person who played Mr. Darcy (never thought I could like anyone but Colin Firth in that role).

My birthday was yesterday and Lyn gave me a savings bond to be used toward saving money for a Shiloh Shepherd. I believe it will take about 5 years to save the money, so this won't be happening tomorrow, but I look forward to the day when I can have one of these beautiful dogs. We had a birthday dinner with Tim and then Lyn, Kristin and I went to see the movie mentioned above. I'm not a fan of animation, usually, but I really loved How to Tame Your Dragon. I kept thinking the dragon reminded me of Kristin.

Today, I was in the right place at the right time when an e-mail came up requesting foster placements for 2 litters of kittens. I got one of the litters.

all four kittens awake

There are 4 of them. So far I have identified 1 male and 1 female. Edit: 2 females, 2 males. The one playing with the white "wings" is a male. The 2 females are side by side in the basket - the one with the white blaze and white chest facing the picture and the little striped one sitting sort of off to the left side. The other male is the one in Lyn's lap and is the cat sort of covering the female with the blaze/white chest in the "awake picture."

This is the little male. He's the most adventurous, so far.

Boy kitten who does not like lights flashing in eyes

The female I've identified is the kitten with the longest hair and she's the most affectionate. She's also the darkest and is at the top of the bed in this picture.

Two sleeping one playing

These kittens are 5 weeks old and I have them for the next 3-4 weeks. I've put them inside an ex-pen and have already had to lay magazines over the edges of the pen to keep the kittens from climbing out. Little boy kitten climbed to the top of the cage already. They are staying in the library turned knitting area turned nursery and I'll start letting them out of the ex-pen to explore in a couple of days. I'm going to name them and am trying to decide whether to go with a theme or with the same letter of the alphabet.

Needless to say, I'll be posting more kitten updates and pictures. The other animals in the house are really curious and I'll have to get a picture of them all lined up by the door to the room trying to see what's happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment