Saturday, August 7, 2010

Oregon Fun Day 2010

Fun Day was great this year, in spite of the fact we said good-bye to Kristin. After a very short night, I wasn't sure we would make it, but I think excitement provided enough adrenalin to make the day doable. We made record time to campus, even though we left a few minutes after 8. There were plenty of parking spots this year and we were able to park on campus. We registered, listened to the opening ceremonies, and then took off to tour the kennels and meet Kristin's littermates. Along the way we saw and talked to club members and other club members that I've come to know over our almost 2 years puppy raising with GDB.

Lyn and I toured the kennel setup and looked at the pictures of how dogs spend their days in the kennel. Honestly, I can't believe they'd ever want to leave. They have a great time!

Skipping to meeting littermates, Kristin got to be reunited with Kenny, the only littermate that made it this year. Kenny is a big guy like his dad, Cubby, and he's got a lot of personality. Kristin is more mellow.

Puppy littermate meetup

Trying to get Kristin and Kenny to pose

Kristin and Kenny

Lyn and I met up with Anna while the litter groups were dispersing and caught up on "A" litter news. Anna's encyclopedic memory always astonishes me!

I perused the Breeding Books and saw Cubby and Chestnut, Cher and Tiburon.

Then we had lunch. Following that we went to see the new film on food protocol. Then it was 1:30 and time to wrap things up with Kristin. Before we went to the movie, we met the person who would be taking Kristin and we couldn't be more pleased. Kristin will have several dogs and cats in her new environment and her new raiser is part of a club whose members I know. I'm really hopeful things will work out and am so glad Kristin is getting a chance.

Lyn and I sat on a grassy area near the stage to spend some final time with Kristin. It was bittersweet, but not as bad as I thought it would be since I knew where she was going and knew she'd be in great hands.

Coming to terms with saying goodbye

DSC00951

Cindy came to take Kristin shortly before the puppies were handed out.

A final shot of Kristin. Bye baby, we'll miss you but hope you go on to do great things!

Head shot of Kristin

I didn't shed a tear until I was standing in line to get our new puppy. But I quickly overcame any sorrow I felt on Kristin's leaving.

So, after ticket prizes and auction baskets were distributed, it was time for the puppy delivery. We had 17 new puppies and they gave out the yellow Lab females first, so I didn't have to wait long. I got a Tiburon and Cher "M" puppy and she's a cutie! Here is Madeline!

Her name is Madeline!

Madeline

Madeline

When the person holding Madeline handed her to me, her first words were "She's REALLY sweet." She has been very calm, sweet, not mouthy, and she slept all the way home. She has Tiburon's darker coat, and a white blaze on her forehead like her almost white-coated mother, Cher. She is appropriate with the cats in the house and Ardella really likes her. She's pretty calm, too, something I'm not quite used to in a puppy! I'm not complaining. I'm delighted to get an easy puppy.

We got 4 puppies in our group and here's a group photo. There is Sherbet, Madeline, Kiva and Pegasus (Bruna's puppy).

Another group photo

Since I was early getting my puppy, I missed out on hearing the names of other puppies. I think they'll be up on Oregon Fun Day pictures that can be accessed from No Bones About It.

So, that's my Fun Day. I'm exhausted and I want to play with Maddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment