Wednesday, October 7, 2009

A Hard Decision

So, Ardella and McCoy met on Friday evening and I've been busy keeping them separated because they love each other so much that they play constantly any chance that they get. They play alligator mouth, and let's run like wolves through the house chasing each other, or let's play alligator mouth through the crates. In other words, they are building such an attachment to one another that it's affecting McCoy's learning to be raised as a guide dog puppy. Plus, I'm exhausted!

Lyn was at Quarterly Meeting from Friday through Sunday evening, and when he returned I was a mess. I couldn't do it, but Lyn contacted our leader and said something had to be done about our situation, that it was far from ideal. So, after several conversations, e-mailing back and forth, me changing my mind, all of us hoping to keep McCoy in the club somehow, I was contacted this afternoon to be told that McCoy would be leaving with my leader for Seattle on Friday afternoon. He'll be spending the weekend with my leader and going home with another puppy club leader on Sunday.

I'm sad, but it's all about what's best for McCoy. I take some comfort in the fact that he's being raised in an organization where all the raisers are like an extended family for the puppies. I'm assured McCoy will be in good hands.

In the meantime, I will be puppy sitting. I have the advantage of working at home so my puppy sitting times are not limited to weekends. I'll also keep attending club meetings to keep up with the new changes. We'll be getting Ardella adjusted to being at home and getting her involved in activities. My leader told me to think about getting a transfer puppy next time and not a new puppy and I think we might ask for this in 6 months or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment