Friday, September 18, 2009

Dog Walk Friday

Today I completed the mentorship training and am now an official Friday dog walker at the local humane society. I learned where to find doggy bags, leashes, how to put on Gentle Leaders, and the entrances and exits to take to ensure dogs don't meet nose-to-nose when retrieving a dog from a kennel or putting them back in.

I walked 5 dogs: 2 American Pit Bull Terriers, a Husky, an Australian Shepherd and a 4-1/2-month-old German Shepherd/Rottweiler puppy. Of the 5, my favorite was the Husky - he was my 4th dog and did no pulling whatsoever. He was my cool-down dog. I got a workout - sweat, sore hands, red face - a definite workout! We walk the dogs on a designated pathway and take the dogs in order, from kennel 1 to kennel whatever. No cherry picking as the dogs know when they are next to be walked and if you pass them by, it is a sad disappointment. As morning walkers we greet dogs that have been kenneled for 12 hours and they really want to get out of their kennels and GO! We walk each dog 2 times around the pathway. Each dog is different and I'm exposed to every breed of dog. When McCoy gets older, I'm going to stay later and take out dogs that need extra socialization, especially the older ones and the ones that people tend to pass by a lot.

I got home dirty and grimy. I wear a T-shirt and apron to work and have a special pair of shoes that I put on and take off at the shelter. Clothes come off in the laundry room at home and there is always a clean pair of clothes in the dryer waiting for me when I come in the door. I wash my hands before leaving, and wash my hands when I get home.

It was good to get home and see McCoy and Aidan. I gave them extra hugs and was thankful they are dogs with homes and futures. I know walking dogs will be a rewarding job - any way to keep the dogs leading a somewhat normal life leads them into a situation where they'll eventually be adopted. A dog finding a forever home feels as important to me as raising a guide dog. I look forward to this adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment